We are inspired to explore more places than ever before. Largely thanks to social media fuelling our wanderlust to escape as far and wide as money will allow.
When we think of travel, our backyard is the last place we look, even though, traveling in your home town is one of the most convenient and affordable ways to bring more travel and adventure to your life.
So while you’re dreaming about your next overseas vacation, why not act like a tourist and go on a local adventure. And the best part? You can go this weekend.
THE BENEFITS of travelling in your own backyard
- You had me at …no jet lag
- You save money
- You can travel somewhere new this weekend. How exciting. Where shall we go?
- When you don’t have as far to travel you have more time to enjoy the destination.
- You don’t need to take time off work.
- A day trip won’t cost you accommodation.
- There’s much less planning involved.
- Packing..what packing? Well, maybe just a well-stocked picnic basket and beach bag.
- You can weather check at the last minute.
- Travel revitalizes us. No matter how long we go for, as long as it enables us to escape the daily routine it’s proven to be enormously beneficial for our well being.
“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.”
— MARCEL PROUST
How to be a tourist in your own backyard
Google “What’s on in my city” or download the lonely planet app. for the list of places to explore in your town.
My favourite places to explore
- New beaches. If you live in Australia there are over 10,000 beaches to explore. So get cracking folks.
- Explore lakes, rivers, mountains, and parks.
- Go Camping
- Take a road trip
- Walking tours, city street tours.
- Check out the local produce markets
- Horse riding
WITH THE KIDS
- Visit an animal farm
- Go to the zoo and have a picnic lunch
- Choose a new park with the most fun looking kids’ playground and facilities. Pack a simple picnic lunch, don’t forget the picnic blanket and pop-up tent for shade.
- Discover new hiking trails.
- A day trip to a festival, music, wine, food, the list is endless.
- A Pirate picnic in your backyard
Without the kids
- Have a little a champagne party
- Visit wineries. Make it a road trip
- Hire kayaks on the lake.
- Try new cycling trails.
- Eat at a new cafe
Tip- Check out THE FREE STUFF
Google Free events. Free events often end up being more enjoyable. Why? Because there’s no expectation when something is free, unlike a paid event where your expectation is much higher. Bring on the freebies!
Choose a weekend every month to explore your backyard.
You don’t need to travel far, just somewhere new or to a favorite place.
Always pack a beach tent in your car for any outdoor adventure, even to the park, to sit by a river tent just make it more fun for the kids, it’s a space that belongs to them and voila it becomes an adventure. It also provides shelter from the elements.
Don’t forget a basic first aid kit.
Leave a Reply